Armchair travel - Part 3

In any normal year, this would have been the time that we would have just got back from a trip out of the country. But 2020 has been anything but a normal year and, although I didn't anticipate that the COVID-19 virus would still be around at the end of August, it is. And here we are. So, although I had not planned on doing another Armchair Travel post, I feel that, with most of staying put, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to do another one. I hope that these small glimpses of these places that I have been to will inspire you to travel to some of them as soon as it is safe to do so.

July 2016
Dunster, England
Dunster, England - Sincerely Loree

I don't think it can get more English than Dunster. This small, colourful village has it all: a castle with a fascinating history, pretty pastel-coloured houses, lovely arts and crafts shops, gorgeous scenery and country walks, and an old church and churchyard. I absolutely loved it. Dunster is also in close proximity to Exmoor National Park so, if you're looking for nature trails, this is the right place.

June 2003
Pompei, Italy

Pompei, Italy - Sincerely Loree


We visited Pompei many years ago, on our honeymoon. I am sure that there were more romantic places that are within an easy day trip from Rome that we could have visited. But both my husband and I have a deep interest in Rome and its empire. Moreover, I had been fascinated with Pompei ever since I learned about Vesuvius' eruption and the subsequent destruction of this thriving town, together with near-by Herculaneum. Pompei is very well preserved and it really felt like a throwback in time to be walking along it's cobbled streets and being able to see the intricate details with which houses, such as the one above, were decorated. One word of advice though - do not visit in summer. It was so stiflingly hot that I thought I would end up as a permanent exhibit together with its ancient inhabitants. 

July 2012
Plymouth, England
Plymouth, England - Sincerely Loree

Plymouth is a fascinating city in the south-west of England with a remarkable history which I won't go into here. As many of my American readers probably already know, the Pilgrim Fathers set off from Plymouth to the new world in 1620 and you can visit the exact spot where this took place, now called the Mayflower Steps. Plymouth is also a place with which my dad has a close connection as he studied at the naval college there for a number of years. Apart from the Pilgrim Fathers, Plymouth is famous for its gin, the Royal Citadel (a 17th century fort), and the Barbican - its historic quarter. The best views of the city and of the surrounding Atlantic are from the Hoe. The Plymouth Eye and Smeaton's Tower are both located on the Hoe and they will provide even more spectacular views of this interesting city.

July 2019
Hannibal, MO, USA
Hannibal, MO, USA - Sincerely Loree

While the photo I am sharing today is from 2019, in reality we visit Hannibal nearly every time we are in the US, as it is only around 60 miles away from where my husband grew up. Hannibal is, of course, Mark Twain country and several places in and around Hannibal featured in his books. It was also the home of the 'Unsinkable Molly Brown' who survived the sinking of the Titanic. Hannibal has a number of interesting art galleries and shops, together with one of my favourite coffee shops: Java Jive. 

August 2018
Inverness, Scotland
Inverness, Scotland - Sincerely Loree

Inverness is considered to be the capital of the Highlands. It is a small city located on the banks of the river Ness and it is close to major attractions like Loch Ness and Culloden Battlefield. Inverness is the gateway to the Highlands and the city offers some dramatic views than can be seen from certain vantage points, such as Inverness Castle. If you're ever this far north, touring a whiskey distillery would not be a bad idea and is a pleasant way to pass an afternoon. Needless to stay, it is a perfect base from which visitors can explore the beautiful Highlands.

I'll stop here for today as I will soon run out of places to share and, with the way things are going, I may need to do a couple more of these posts. I hope you enjoy reading about them and that, one day, you will also be able to visit some of these beautiful places.

Related posts:

11 comments

  1. That's a good idea to travel in your armchair ! What else could we do then digging in our memories ! I have been in Iverness too and that day it was wonderful weather !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your travel posts. The photographs are perfect for creating dreams of travel. I can see the fascination with Pompeii, frozen in volcanic dust and uncovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for me, Plymouth is memorable as I spent a lot of time visiting there as a child/teen it being just a 30 min. drive from my hometown in Devon. My grandmother used take me there on the bus for the day - I played on the Hoe and have climbed Smeaton's Tower many times!

    I was last in Plymouth in 2015 when we took our granddaughter Jasmin to England on her 18th birthday trip -----

    Here's the post with some good photos from that day!

    https://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2015/08/plymouth-and-pirates.html

    Enjoy your posts on travel always Loree - like you I'm missing going anywhere now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful armchair tour. I really enjoyed it. Your husband is American? How did you all meet?

    I've never been to Hannibal Missouri so it's always good to discover new possible places to visit.

    I visited Italy a couple of years ago, but I didn't make it to Pompeii. That is still on the bucket list.

    One day, this CoVid will be over and we'll be able to see all those places we want to travel to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TAKE ME AWAY................I AM GOING STIR CRAZY!!!
    SO MUCH BEAUTY CLOSE TO YOU!
    ALL WE HAVE IS FIRES, TRUMP and COVID................XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loree - I so love traveling with you by armchair. Inverness would be my first stop for sure. I have always wanted to go to Scotland. The beauty calls to my ancestors' roots (My mom's maiden name is McCoy). Maybe someday I will get to visit. In the meantime I am going to enjoy seeing these places you have traveled through your lovely lens. Have a great weekend friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments. I find it really annoying that I can't reply to each person individually anymore. Glad to read that you're enjoying my 'Armchair Travel' posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really found our blog quite interesting and really looking for more travel blogs from your side. LOve from India.
    .
    Best Packers And Movers in Najafgarh
    Packers Mart gives premium associations to giving collaborations, packers and movers in Najafgarh. Packers Mart provides You with the Best Packers and movers association which will give you the expense of your product you need to move from to Another City or Within the city.As you Know That Najafgarh is a town in the South West Delhi district at the National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It's among the three subdivisions of the Southwest Delhi district. Najafgarh is located in the outskirts of the northwestern area of Delhi Close to the Haryana boundary, a distance of 29 kilometers (18 miles) in the New Delhi City Center. It's a combination of urban and rural inhabitants out of Delhi and Haryana.


    Best Packers And Movers in Najafgarh
    Packers Mart gives premium associations to giving collaborations, packers and movers in Najafgarh. Packers Mart provides You with the Best Packers and movers association which will give you the expense of your product you need to move from to Another City or Within the city.As you Know That Najafgarh is a town in the South West Delhi district at the National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It's among the three subdivisions of the Southwest Delhi district. Najafgarh is located in the outskirts of the northwestern area of Delhi Close to the Haryana boundary, a distance of 29 kilometers (18 miles) in the New Delhi City Center. It's a combination of urban and rural inhabitants out of Delhi and Haryana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your travel blogs are really amazing and I really love the way you express everything. Your work is really commendable.
    .
    .
    Best Packers And Movers in Najafgarh
    Packers Mart gives premium associations to giving collaborations, packers and movers in Najafgarh. Packers Mart provides You with the Best Packers and movers association which will give you the expense of your product you need to move from to Another City or Within the city.As you Know That Najafgarh is a town in the South West Delhi district at the National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It's among the three subdivisions of the Southwest Delhi district. Najafgarh is located in the outskirts of the northwestern area of Delhi Close to the Haryana boundary, a distance of 29 kilometers (18 miles) in the New Delhi City Center. It's a combination of urban and rural inhabitants out of Delhi and Haryana.


    Best Packers And Movers in Najafgarh
    Packers Mart gives premium associations to giving collaborations, packers and movers in Najafgarh. Packers Mart provides You with the Best Packers and movers association which will give you the expense of your product you need to move from to Another City or Within the city.As you Know That Najafgarh is a town in the South West Delhi district at the National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It's among the three subdivisions of the Southwest Delhi district. Najafgarh is located in the outskirts of the northwestern area of Delhi Close to the Haryana boundary, a distance of 29 kilometers (18 miles) in the New Delhi City Center. It's a combination of urban and rural inhabitants out of Delhi and Haryana.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Ethereum (ETH) is the second most valuable and popular cryptocurrency after Bitcoin (BTC). Ethereum’s popularity has skyrocketed among its consumers. With this in mind, many people are now searching for How to Mine Ethereum? Ethereum Mining Software or Best Ethereum Mining Software? Suppose you already have Ethereum mining equipment and a secure wallet. In that case, all you need to do now is to choose the finest Ethereum mining software to help you to manage all your mining operations effectively.

    In this article, you will find out the Top 5 Best Ethereum Mining Software, their features, how to download them, and much more… But let’s begin with the basics of Ethereum.0

    Top 5 Best Ethereum Mining Software In 2021

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.