Living in the moment

Today is my birthday. I would normally let the day pass without mentioning it but this is the last birthday of my 40s. Ever since I turned 29, getting older has filled me with trepidation and a heavy feeling in my heart. On my 29th birthday I got a second piercing in my left ear to mark the momentous occasion. Some time after my 39th birthday I started my first blog, Stories & Scribbles. All tame things really, when you think about it. So what about this year? How will I commemorate the last year of my 40s?
Flowers: Sincerely Loree blog


How I will commemorate the last of my 40s

I've seriously been giving this quite a bit of thought. Once the Christmas festivities were over and I boxed up all the decorations and cleaned the house, I fell into a bit of a funk. My birthday was getting closer and I was dreading it. I started to feel inordinately sad; so sad and upset that, one day last week, I ended up with tears falling into my  Greek yoghurt,  oatmeal and dark cocoa concoction. After that I felt better and decided that I was done feeling sorry for myself and letting the passing years get to me. After all, as my mother-in-law says, getting older is generally better than the alternative. So, with that in mind, I decided it's time for some changes; positive changes for my own well-being and for this beautiful planet we have been gifted with. I've chosen three phrases that I will live by in this coming year? Will I fail occasionally? Of course I will. Will I get nostalgic for my youth? Without a doubt. But I will try and focus on my new mantra and aim to keep positive. So am I making a few resolutions even though I always say that I never make any? Perhaps. But they are fun resolutions that I hope will be easy to keep.

Flowers: Sincerely Loree blog

Go green

I am determined to wage a war on single-use plastic and plastic in general.
I'll buy refills whenever possible.
I'll try not to buy new clothes unless I need them and, if I do buy something new, I need to give something away.
Shopping my closet will be a good way to ensure that I make the most of what I already have (and I have more than enough).

Let it go

I need to learn to stop worrying about things I cannot change and to let go of any anger about situations that are beyond my control. This will be my biggest challenge but I will do the best I can. And when I fail, I will try and try again.
Flowers: Sincerely Loree blog

Live in the moment

Stop thinking that I'm too old.
Stop worrying what people think.
Wear the red nail polish.
Ger a new hair style.
Learn to do something new or improve something that I already do.
Stop being so bashful.
Wear my best clothes as often as possible  - each day is special in its own way.
Mix and match more.
Smile more, even if smiles cause laughter lines.
Go for a weekend trip with my husband to somewhere special: London, Paris, Vienna, Prague - the list of cities I'd like to visit or re-visit is endless.
Eat the gelato.
Go to the theatre.

I think that's a good starting point. I'll let you know how it goes. All of you that visit and leave a comment are always a source of inspiration. I know that some of you are battling your own problems but I think that there is a beautiful community of women on Instagram and in the Blogosphere that are doing their best to left each other up and bring out the positive in people. And for that, my friends, I am truly grateful.

9 comments

  1. Hello Loree, Happy Birthday! Birthdays, like new years, are clean-slate times, and so are apt for considering new directions in life. About "letting things go," sometimes it does take a lot of effort to change things, but it can be worth it in the end. --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Jim. I do believe that anything that requires an effort is ultimately worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Loree!
    Good resolutions. We all can benefit by trying them.
    Getting older has fun moments that you might laugh about as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness and all that because of a number ? What should I say I am approaching the club of the 8 ! I still buy clothes when I like them mostly in a street where it doesn't cost more then 5 Euros or on the market, so if I don't like them anymore I just give them away, all my friends do so. And we are always well dressed. We don't pay anymore attention to the quality because nobody wants our "old" stuff like cuttlery and plates. Just keep young in your mind and celebrate with your friends we just celebrated the 70th of a friend with Libanese food, even considered to make a pyjama party ! My neighbor she is 50 pretends that she has more fun with us oldies then with her generation !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Loree!!!!!!!
    Better late than never so here's hoping you spent a wonderful time on your birthday. . . . . . .and sending love and very best wishes for this special year ahead.

    As always, your beautifully written post was quite an eye opener and taught me many new things about you! I'm happy knowing you have many new goals which will help you through this coming year - all sound familiar and are things we all strive for as we age. You really are still so young my dear, compared to me anyway! Enjoy every day and you will I know find that each year, no matter the number, will bring pleasures you never expected. There will of course always be 'down' days too, that's called life, but as long as you have good health, enjoy the small things that bring smiles, love and are loved, one can deal with just about anything!

    Sending a warm hug and a big smile across the many miles.
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Loree!!!!!!!
    Better late than never so here's hoping you spent a wonderful time on your birthday. . . . . . .and sending love and very best wishes for this special year ahead.

    As always, your beautifully written post was quite an eye opener and taught me many new things about you! I'm happy knowing you have many new goals which will help you through this coming year - all sound familiar and are things we all strive for as we age. You really are still so young my dear, compared to me anyway! Enjoy every day and you will I know find that each year, no matter the number, will bring pleasures you never expected. There will of course always be 'down' days too, that's called life, but as long as you have good health, enjoy the small things that bring smiles, love and are loved, one can deal with just about anything!

    Sending a warm hug and a big smile across the many miles.
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday Loree. Your list is super. Turning fifty was not bothersome but sixty seemed a bit harder to accept. Had a good friend tell me getting older is not as bad as the alternative. That made me smile. Go for living in the moment. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FOR GOD SAKES I'm LATE TO YOUR BLOG POST!!!!!
    OF ALL POSTS TO BE LATE TOO!!!
    I find another year EXCITING!I will be 60 in JULY and that has me thinking OH GOSH I have maybe 20 GOOD YEARS LEFT if I AM LUCKY!!!
    YOU ARE 49...........THAT IS A GREAT AGE!OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE AND YET THE BODY IS STILL FUNCTIONING!!!
    I LOVE YOUR LIST of TO DO's!!YOU will have to let us know how your doing with that list as the year ZIPS BY!!!!!!!!!
    YES, there is a really GOOD NETWORK of WOMEN out here in BLOGLAND and INSTAGRAM!!!
    I HAVE LOVED GETTING TO KNOW A HANDFUL of them!YOU INCLUDED!!
    Don't BE SAD your SON IS STILL HOME!!!!!!!
    SAD is they DAY THEY LEAVE and NEVER COME BACK FOR GOOD!
    ENJOY THESE YEARS.............I promise YOU THEY ARE GOOD!As I've been there and done that!!!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops! I, too, somehow missed getting to wish you a Happy Birthday at the right moment - although maybe I already got to do that over the Instagram? - so consider this a long month of well-wishing in your general direction!! Have nothing to fear from your pending 50s - it is absolutely fine from where I'm sat on the cusp of 54. Mr P is 8 years older than I am and we always seem to have a lot of older friends anyways (including the regular yum cha crowd who are in their 80s), so I've never felt the passing years so keenly as you seem to have done this year, as I seem always to be Young in someone else's eyes. Sure the Ageing Process is often alarming, but if you can't really give a fig about it at the end of the day, it can be quite liberating. What is a bit thought-provoking, however, is the realisation that time is slipping by to do all the things you may like to do. Having a List, like you've put together, is a great idea to focus the mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.