Armchair travel - Part 1

If you would have told me, just 4 weeks ago, that, by the end of March, millions of people (over 1 billion, actually) would be quarantined, I would have laughed. And yet, here we all are and I am, of course, no longer laughing. Like countless millions, I am stuck indoors, working from home and finding it increasingly difficult to blog since I am using my 'blogging space' as my working space and, after 8 hours rooted to the same spot, my 'blogging space, is feeling less and less like the place I so enjoyed going to. But I don't want to lose the nice rhythm I had established since the beginning of the year and I refuse to let COVID-19 get the better of me.

So today, my post will be short on words but big on photos as I take you on some armchair travels that will remind you of all the beauty and open spaces that are awaiting our return. At the end of this post, I am linking, when possible, to previous posts, so that you can really get lost down this particular rabbit-hole, if you are so inclined.

September 2005
Venice, Italy
My first view ever of La Serenissima. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and I will never forget my first view of this enchanting place, rising like a jewel out of the murky waters of the Adriatic. I still think that the best way to see Venice for the first time is from a boat.
Venice, Italy - Sincerely Loree


July 2014
London, UK
It was a very warm day in London and I distinctly remember we were eating egg salad and watercress sandwiches in the shadow of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square and watching the world go by.
Trafalgar Square, London, UK - Sincerely Loree

August 2018
Grand Teton National  Park, WY
Jenny Lake
Pristine, serene and breathtakingly beautiful - a small slice of heaven on earth. The squirrels were really friendly too.
Jenny Lake, Grand Teton National Park, WY, USA - Sincerely Loree

October 2009
Pisa, Italy
Piazza dei Miracoli
The heart of historical Pisa, with its world-famous leaning tower.
Piazza dei Miracoli, Pisa, Italy - Sincerely Loree

July 2010
The Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Table Rock Lake
We were spending some days with friends at their summer house in Ozark country. I lay on the deck and watched the sunset. All alone. Pure bliss.
Lake of the Ozarks, MO, USA - Sincerely Loree

July 2012
Cornwall, UK
Tintagel
Oh this place! I will never forget it. History, legends, kings and wizards - the sort of subjects that send my imagination racing.
Tintagel, Cornwall, UK - Sincerely Loree

August 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
Dean Village
We loved everything about Edinburgh but this village, in the midst of a bustling city, was the cherry on the cake.
Dean Village, Edinburgh, Scotland - Sincerely Loree

Canaveral National Seashore, FL
Big beaches and bigger skies. I remember the intense heat and humidity and, less than an hour after we got out of the water, the mother of all storms.
Canaveral National Seashore, FL, USA - Sincerely Loree

March 2016
Normandy, France
A place of wild beauty and poignant remembrance. Pointe du Hoc formed part of Hitler's Atlantic Wall. It was taken by the Allies on D-Day. Some of the original concrete fortifications and bomb craters exist to this day.
Pointe du Hoc, Normdany, France - Sincerely Loree

March 2018
Rome, Italy
The Roman  Forum
My beloved city. This was my fifth visit but I still haven't had enough. When this madness is over, I will go back.
The Roman Forum, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

I hope you've enjoyed these brief glimpses of some of the world's beautiful places. I plan to do some more armchair travel posts while we continue to be confined indoors and, if you enjoy them, I can continue even after this pandemic is over.

Related posts:

8 comments

  1. Beautiful photo tour!

    After the virus fades, and the world slowly returns to the new normal, I've decided to move. I don't know where or how. But, move it will be. Traveling lifts the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loree,

    Tintagel! "The Mists of Avalon" was one of my favourite books from my adolescence. I've never been to Cornwall or seen this spot before, so thank you! I, too, am planning on some armchair travel posts (and some super belated book reviews) but it's business as usual around here (with an enhanced cleaning regime as Mr P. is an essential service employee - I'm abandoning my "green" cleaning for the heavy duty stuff right now and there's a distinct smell of bleach about the place, haha), so I'll hopefully get some kind of rhythm happening before long.

    Do keep your posts going as I expect travel will be of the armchair variety for most of the world for some time after all this is over. There is a thoughtful post over on the blog East of Elveden this morning called "The Mountains of Persia" about armchair travel in Belgrade during their war.

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, this morning I picked up a clutch of freebie books from our building's informal exchange, one of which I took as I thought of you: "A Voyage in Vain: Coleridge's Journey to Malta in 1804" by Alethea Hayter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE PHOTOS AND MORE EVEN THE MEMORIES!!!
    KEEP POSTING!
    NOW< I have a request!CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE A BETTER PHOTO OF YOURSELF FOR THE BLOG HERE ON YOUR HOME PAGE?The one there looks distorted to me?Is it MY EYES or do you get what I am saying?PLus I think its VERY OLD!!!!!
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!
    I AWAIT THE UPDATE!

    IT WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DO!!!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Loree -
    Lovely photos of great places around this now different world! I wonder if I will get to see more places remaining on my travel list. Yes, I know I've visited all 7 continents however there are still specific places I've yet to see - Belgium, Iceland, Finland come to mind.

    I can imagine it hard to work from home and still blog - I wish I could give you permission to stop work and just blog!!! Must say, being old, retired, and today celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary, makes being stuck at home almost bearable!

    Take care, may you and your family stay healthy. . . . . . .and here's to a way forward for us all soon.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mawywn moving might be the best thing to do when this is all over.

    @Pipistrello, I knew Coleridge had travelled to Malta but didn't know his voyage was in vain. Oh dear!

    @Elizabeth, I will fix the photo.

    @Mary, thanks for your comment. I am sure once the pandemic abates you will be able to travel to all the places you've never been to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loree I so enjoyed my arm chair travels with you...I hope you will continue to share more of these lovely photos. Take care friend and stay safe. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tour. I am doing something similar. Since I've taken a hiatus from blogging for almost two years, I'll be posting the places I've been to and haven't had the time to post.

    Stay safe and stay well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.