Armchair travel - Part 2

Since we're all still stuck at home, I am doing another virtual travel post with 10 photos of beautiful places to feast your eyes on. And while you're reading, you can start to dream about and plan your next trip. We won't be locked down forever, I am sure of that.

August 2013
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA

It is hard to capture the essence of Yellowstone in just one photo because the landscape is so diverse. It changes continuously and no scene is like the next. I loved its wild beauty and all the amazing natural wonders like geysers, hot springs, waterfalls, canyons and forests. The roaming wildlife was an added bonus. Unfortunately, we did not get to see any bears.
Yellowstone National Park, USA - Sincerely  Loree

June 2007
Burano, Italy
There is no denying the beauty and grandeur of Venice but there is an air of melancholy about it. Neighbouring Burano, on the other hand, has to be cheerful on even the stormiest days because its houses are painted in the most vibrant of hues. Wandering around Burano felt like walking into a painting by an exuberant child. I have nothing but lovely memories of the afternoon we spent there. And a bracelet of lime-green glass beads that I cherish greatly and wear often.
Burano, Italy - Sincerely Loree

November 2007
Vienna, Austria
Vienna's imperial past is immediately apparent in its magnificent architecture. As the capital city of the Austro-Hungarian empire, Vienna is a rich city with palaces and churches gleaming like pearls. Vienna is not one of those busy cities that leave you breathless because people are constantly jostling and pushing you this way and that. On the contrary, there is a slowness to its pace that is extremely calming and it felt really safe and welcoming. Vienna is renowned for its coffee culture and a slice of Sachertorte is de rigeur. I may have been guilty of eating a slice every day when we were there.
Vienna, Austria - Sincerely Loree

March 2009
Paris, France
I still have a hard time deciding what I like best about Paris: the broad avenues designed by Baron Hausmann, the intricate metal emroidery of the Eiffel Tower, the Gothic splendour of Notre Dame, the magnificence of the Louvre or the fashion-houses and jewellery shops along the Champs Elysees.  For want of a better word, but one can't really describe Paris in one word, it is magnifique. I think I left my heart in the artsy neighbourhood of Montmartre, in the 18th arrondissement. Presided over by the huge basilica of Sacre Couer, that rises above the buildings like a haughty swan surrounded by puny ducklings, it has an innate charm that is instantly endearing. 
Montmartre, Paris, France - Sincerely Loree

July 2010
Chicago, USA
Chicago is probably the biggest city that I've visited up to now in the US and it remains my absolute favourite. This probably has to do with two things: Chicago was the first place in the US where I met my husband and it is on the shores of Lake Michigan - which gives me the illusion that I'm close to the sea. I am not a city girl but Chicago has good vibes. It agrees with me.
Chicago, IL, USA - Sincerely Loree

October 2009
San Gimignano, Italy
We had arrived in San Gimignano on a late afternoon in mid-October. Most of the visitors had already left for the day and the streets were practically empty. And I just wandered around and around, relishing the quiet and the medieval ambiance. I felt like I had been transported back a few centuries. It's a really amazing place and I didn't really want to leave. I made San Gimignano a promise that I would be back. A promise I still need to keep.
San Gimignano, Italy - Sincerely Loree

May 2012
Taormina, Sicily
Taormina is where beauty goes into overdrive. It feels like whoever created it kept piling on the charm. Taormina is perched on a hill-top with breath-taking views of the sea and, in the near distance, the looming hulk and smoking top of Mount Etna. The sheer-cliff face adorned with abundant vegetation on which the town is located, cascades into the sea and high above it, the slopes of a mountain ridge reach for the sky. It is awe-inspiringly pretty but is also, without a doubt, Sicily's most notorious tourist trap. 
Taormina, Sicily - Sincerely Loree

July 2015
Washington D.C., USA
Washington is full of enormous buildings, grandiose monuments and some of the most amazing museums in the world that are free of charge. We visited most of its iconic landmarks like the Washington Monument and Lincoln memorial, the Capitol building and the White House but, by far, I enjoyed the Smithsonian museums the most, especially the  National Museum of Natural History and the National Museum of the American Indian.
Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC, USA - Sincerely Loree

July 2016
Glastonbury, England
As an avid fan of the Arthurian legend, I have always wanted to visit Glastonbury and its ruined abbey where the mortal remains of King Arthur are purported to lie. The little town of Glastonbury is definitely an interesting place to visit but, due to my obsession with Arthur, we spent most of our time there exploring the ruins of the abbey, which has its own turbulent history. My only regret is that we did not have time to visit Glastonbury Tor which is located on a hill outside the town and which has its own fair share of legends. But, at least, I was able to view it from the car as we left Glastonbury. 
Glasonbury Abbey, Glastonbury, England - Sincerely Loree

July 2014
Windsor, England
Windsor is famous for its castle and for the Royal Weddings that take place in Saint George's Chapel, the church that lies within the castle precincts. The castle is open to the public and so is the royal chapel in which lie buried some of the former kings and queens of England such as Henry VIII and his beloved queen, Jane Seymour, and, more recently, George VI (father of the present queen), the Queen-mother and Princess Margaret. St George's Chapel seems to be second only to Westminster Abbey as the preferred resting place of British monarchs. I will not bore you with details of how much I enjoyed the tour of the castle but the town of Windsor itself is equally enchanting and we had a really enjoyable day there that ended with an enormous plate of fish and chips at one of the local pubs.
Windsor Castle, Windsor, England - Sincerely Loree

Related posts:
I hope you are enjoying these virtual mini tours of some of the places I have visited. Let me know whether you enjoy them so I can do a few more. 

8 comments

  1. Your wonderful descriptions make all those place feel enchanting. You have a talent for travel writing. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I really miss traveling right now, but health is more important.

    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Loree I so am amazed at all your beautiful photography...I loved each photo and your way with words made me feel as if I had traveled there with you. Taormina looks like a gorgeous place to visit. Of course England calls to my heart as well. Thank you for a lovely armchair trip - I will look forward to more of these travels with you. Take care and yes we will not be locked down forever...we will come out of this time hopefully having been made stronger and more faithful. Take care friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loree, You are such a good writer. I really enjoyed traveling to all these spots with this post! I hope we get back to travel one day. It is my most for favorite thing. Vienna and San Gimignano are on my list of places to get. I love Austria and that coffee and cake culture they have. Thank you for sharing and I hope you are taking care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loree
    I really enjoyed this post, I felt like I was having a virtual tour. You're a natural at knowing what's interesting about a place. And those were such pretty shots. I hope you're staying safe and healthy.
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHY!
    I have been to almost all of these spots and could relate to what you said about EACH!
    Chicago is a BEAUTIFUL CITY..........BUT YOU MUST SEE San Francisco!SKIP Los Angeles and go to Santa Barbara!
    I MUST GET TO MALTA AND SICILY..........HIGH ON MY LIST!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am blown away by all your kind comments. Glad you're enjoying these small virtual tours of some of the places I have been to. The world is such a beautiful place. I can't wait to be able to visit a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brings back memories ! I have been in a lot of these places too ! The Yellowstone Park we saw in 1971 when we were for the first time in the States visiting my aunt. At that time it was not really a touristic place and we probably were the only tourists ! I still remember the "Ol'faithful" and that the ground was hot !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.