Frayed at the edges

By the beginning of September, even the oleanders, those hardy desert plants, are starting to look a little bit tired and frayed at the edges. Which means that you probably won't be surprised to hear I'm feeling very much the same. I've forgotten what the coolness of rain feels like and the daily blue colour of the sky; without even the hint of a cloud, has bored me to death. If I thought that doing a rain dance would change things, I'd be out in our yard leaping like a demented rabbit. When I scroll through my Instagram feed (more on that particular topic later) I feel envious of people talking about 'a chill in the air' and 'leaves turning gold and orange'. Here, the status quo has me chafing at the bit. I'll try to be patient. For a little while longer.

I've mentioned countless times how inert I am in summer but, around 2 weeks ago, I was on vacation for a week and, one morning, I decided it was time to take my camera for a stroll. By the time I got out of the house it was 11am, which is not the best time for taking photos, but I was hoping to make the most out of the sharp contrast between sunlight and shadows by taking some black and white photos. But, in the end, I decided to also use my 'Expressive' feature which puts an extra pop of colour into images to stop them from looking washed-out.

 I didn't drive far. My plan was to wander around a very old part of Rabat* (the town where I grew up and which is just minutes away). I parked right by the entrance to the catacombs and played the tourist in my old hometown. It's amazing what details emerge when you look at a place with new eyes. As I walked along the narrow streets and alleyways, I realised that some of the old houses were looking and feeling a little bit like me - frayed at the edges. 

It was these houses I sought. Not the ones that have been restored and are looking pristine. But the ones that have been abandoned for years. The ones where nature has taken over and that have trees and weeds growing from the oddest places. The ones whose doors have such big cracks that I could see the layers of dust and peeling paint inside. The ones whose windows have been blown open, revealing a glass chandelier or fraying curtains from another era. But although my fingers itched to release the shutter, I just could not bring myself to let my lens intrude into these abandoned abodes. I felt like it would be an invasion the privacy of any ghosts that still lived there. So I contented myself with doorways and facades.

*Rabat has a very old and interesting history but I'll skip the details for today. However, for a little background, the catacombs I was referring to date back to the Roman era and were used for burials until the 7th or 8th century AD. The underground tombs were located just outside the city walls of Melite (today's Mdina) since it was Roman practice not to bury their dead inside their cities. Over time, the burial grounds were abandoned and houses sprouted up in the vicinity. Many of these houses date back to medieval times and some of them are located on top of the catacombs.

And on a totally different note, Instagram has partially blocked my account. I cannot like or comment on photos and my captions disappear when I post a photo. It's been going on for over a week and I am rather annoyed. I will give it till this Saturday and if it doesn't get resolved, I will have to start a new account. I know that some of you follow me on there so I'll keep you posted. It's just another thing that has me frayed at the edges.

12 comments

  1. Gorgeous photos, as always, Loree. Fraying at the edges is how I do look and feel at this stage in life, and your lovely images are a reminder of how attractive this can be, haha! I guess the application of a bit of makeup is my own 'Expressive' feature ... Instagram, I think my brief foray into it may be done. My own account was principally for linking with my blog but looking at the glorious pics of others became too much of a sinkhole for time so I'm really rationing my time there. Unsurprisingly, my output of books read has correspondingly gone up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loree such a treat to see where you grew up. I always enjoy your photos. The last picture of the stone house is beautiful. It would be fun to look inside. Sorry to read you are having trouble with Instagram. I have not done much on this media platform. I do visit and follow folks there but I don't post. Hope you get it worked out. Have a good week friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are beautiful ! I remember that when we had our heatwave I was feeling like you and it lasted so unusually long ! Now it cooled down and it's difficult to dress ! Mornings cold, afternoon warm evening sometimes even warmer ! crazy. Everybody feels not normal with this not normal life running around in masks and go shopping and everything to have a little fun is cancelled !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pipistrello, I've noticed that you're not on IG anymore. It can be a sinkhole at times. I try to limit my time on it as much as possible. Right now I'm barely using it but I miss posting photos and the IG community.

    @Debbie, thank you. I am trying to get back into the photography vibe. Hopefully the weather will cool off a bit so I can do it more frequently.

    @Gattina, I think extremely hot weather is made for young people. I used to go to the beach in my teens and twenties when the temperature would be 40C and we wouldn't even have an umbrella for some shade. Now, just thinking about it makes me feel faint. I agree, it has become a strange world but we have to make the most of it until things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Loree, I love the weathered, textured surfaces you have shown us today. Unlike you, I would not have hesitated to photograph the abandoned interiors. I don't see any invasion of privacy, but it is important to record these evocative interiors before they fall prey to the wrecker's ball or the renovator's dumpster.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorna...I love that you took your camera for a stroll with fresh eyes and had to laugh when you said you didn’t make it out until 11:00am. I know the feeling well! We do our best! Thank you for sharing your country, I find it fascinating and think one day, when we have some traveling normalcy in our lives again, I would love to walk with you and our cameras. Seeing it through your perspective would be so interesting...😊 Good luck with Instagram...and I hear you on the frayed edges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Loree

    I know exactly what you mean. We are in the midst of a heatwave (our Indian Summer) here on the Central Coast of California. It has been over 100 for several days. We came home from the lake because our grid was overloaded so our air didn't work (lll outside) Our plants here look a bit frayed as well. Loved the photos of your charming hometown.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorna, Love these photos and to see where you live. Fraying at the edges is exactly how things are about now here. We've had crazy hot days.. almost 110 which we never have and then smoke from fires. Now the air is better and temps, but an ugly cloud won't lift from here and we are so dark you need light on during the day. Hoping we get fall soon. I am like you - can't do the heat anymore!! Instagram is such a sink hole. I limit myself to it at night and in morning for a short window. Otherwise I don't do anything of value!! Hoping your fall is good. Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your handling of frayed edges is admirable. Visiting your home town is being good to yourself, being in a place of comfort and love. I image at points in our lives, the home strings play as our hearts listen, even when we feel fraged at the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS IS RIGHT UP MY ALLEY AND IF I WAS WITH YOU WE WOULD HAVE ENTERED AT LEAST ONE OLD HOME!!!AS I'm BOSSY!!!!!!!
    BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS.................
    RAIN IS COMING DON't YOU WORRY!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those words "Playing the tourist in my hometown" truly resonate with me Loree - I always find myself doing just that when I go home. Missing a trip there this year but have reservations made for next spring - fingers are crossed!
    Great photos - thanks for sharing.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so nice that you can appreciate and share the beauty of even something common place like a door. It's a good reminder to keep our eyes open.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.