Happy birthday Roma

According to legend, today is Rome's birthday. Purportedly, the city was founded on this day in 753 BC by twin brothers Romulus and Remus, sons of Mars, the god of war, and a Vestal Virgin that he seduced. But some say that Rome is even older than that. That it was to the banks of the Tiber that Aeneas and some other Trojans fled and founded a city after the Greeks destroyed destroyed Troy. Who knows what the truth is? It's not important when and by whom Rome was founded. What is important, is that someone did and that it exists to this day.

I had not planted on doing another post related to 'virtual travel' but I could not pass up this opportunity to dig through my archives for some of  my favourite photos of Rome. Because any excuse is a good excuse to share some images of the Eternal City.

Oh Rome!
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love your history, your empire, your fountains, your churches, your works of art, your architecture, your food, your colours, your markets, your piazzas, your monuments, your gelato, your quirkiness, your colossal ego, your saints, your Caesars, your vibe, your heartbeat, your deaths, your rebirths, your everything.

Piazza Navona, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree


And to quote the perfect poem by Elizabeth Barret Browning:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Church of Saint Agnes, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
Roman Forum, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

L'Altare della Patria, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree
I love thee freely, as men strive for right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
Piazza Navona, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Fontana di Trevi, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
Piazza di Spagna, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Piazza della Rotonda, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Bernini's elephant, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Food market, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Trastevere, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

Roman Forum, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree
Motorino, Rome, Italy - Sincerely Loree

  A bit of Rome overload today, I think, but I really couldn't help it. Next time I'll be sharing something completely different. In the meantime, is anyone planning a trip to  Rome after everything is back to normal?

More Rome:

5 comments

  1. The beauty that is Rome!

    This is one city I've been to three times and would love to visit again. I lived there for a year, so I have friends there. It's a lovely city. Thank you for for another virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Rome!
    That's fun scrolling through your photographs! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again Loree I found such joy in your photos. Rome has to be one of the most loveliest cities as well as being so ancient. Thank you for letting me travel there with you friend. Take care. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you imagine that I know Italy from top too bottom but have never been to Rome ! I always thought one day is not enough I need several once. Have to go on a city trip !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The architecture is amazing. It looks like it could come to life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.