A stroll around central Valletta

Valletta, Malta
A couple of weeks ago I had some time to kill while waiting to pick up my son so I drove to Valletta and decided to stroll around for a bit. Our capital city has changed drastically in the last 3-4 years. A number of small shops and boutiques have closed down and been replaced by restaurants, cafeterias and wine bars; and old residences and palazzos that were vacant for decades have been spruced up and are now enjoying a new lease of life as boutique hotels.
Old Treasury Street, Valletta

But in spite of the many changes, face-lifts and renovations, there is much that, thankfully, has remained the same. There is still age and patina and I enjoy seeking it out and pressing the shutter button of my camera, clicking my way around the grid-like streets that, at the time Valletta was built, were completely in contrast to the winding thoroughfares that characterised all medieval towns and villages. But with its birth date in 1566, Valletta is ‘modern’ compared to some of the more ancient areas of this island.
So let’s take a stroll around some of my favourite spots in the central part of Valletta.

Old Treasury Street
I love the arcaded portion of this narrow street that seem to draw the eyes upward towards its carved ceiling. 
Old Treasury Street, Valletta
To the left hand side is the magnificent building housing the Bibliotheca – the National Library of Malta – and to the right is Republic Square, formerly Piazza Regina.
From here, the Grand Master’s Palace would be right behind me. I will share more about the palace in some other post.

Piazza Regina
I am still old enough to remember the old name for this square and I hardly ever call it by its new name (Republic Square).  Piazza Regina (Queen’s Square) obviously sounds more regal than Republic Square and I prefer it that way. This tree-lined square got its name from the imposing statue of Queen Victoria that sits at its rear. Piazza Regina is now used as an extra outdoor seating area for two restaurants. So it's possible to dine al fresco under the watchful eye of Queen Victoria – as long as you’re on your best behaviour. Piazza Regina is right next door to the Grand Master’s Palace .
Piazza Regina, Valletta
Right opposite this square is Caffe Cordina – one of the oldest and best-loved cafeterias in Valletta; and one of my favourite places to grab an ice-cream or a delicious pastry.

The Main Guard & St George’s Square
The Main Guard is directly opposite the Grand Master’s Palace and was built in 1603 as a guardhouse for the Grand Master’s personal guards. The Neoclassical portico was added by the British in 1814. Right outside the Main Guard is St George’s square. At the rear of each end of the square are two fountains and the sound of their tinkling water is a very pleasant sound during the stiflingly hot summer months. A number of benches are scattered around St George’s square and it is a favourite spot to take a rest with both Maltese and tourists, especially since free Wifi is available here.
The Main Guard, Valletta
A playful, modern, fountain at the front of the square shoots water out of the ground to a random, computer-generated sequence that is very fascinating for young children, who love running through it during its down time but always with the added thrill that it could turn back on at any time and give them a good soaking. I’m speaking from experience here as my son did his best to get soaked every time we would go to St George’s Square for an evening walk. I really miss those days.
St George's Square
The Grand Master's Palace from St. George's Square

Old Theatre Street
To one side of St George's Square is Old  Theatre Street, the upper part of which is strewn with shops and restaurants and is completely pedestrianised. Many of the eateries use this to their advantage by having tables on the street.
Some shops on Old  Theatre Street: Marks & Spencer, Bata, Karen Millen, Kyoto, Kenjo.
Old Theatre Street, Valletta
Restaurants on Old Theatre Street (to mention just a few): StrEat Cafe, City Lounge, Taproom, Theobroma Raw Cacao Collective.

Strait Street
Cutting across Old Theatre Street, and just minutes away from the Grand Master's Palace, is Strait Street, which used to be notorious as Valletta’s red light district. Nowadays it’s more quirky than sinful, but what I love most about it are the glimpses of its less-than-salubrious past and the rust and  patina that have still not been cleared away and replaced.
Strait Street, Valletta
Strait Street is the site of the infamous hotel that was known as The Splendid together with numerous bars and dance halls. Some of these have now been converted into restaurants. Despite its notoriety, various small palazzos adorn this very narrow street (it is the narrowest in Valletta) and one of them now houses one of our favourite restaurants: Palazzo Preca.
Strait Street is really a photographer’s dream and I plan to share more about it in the future.

I hope you enjoyed this short stroll around the centre of Valletta. When I’m without my camera, 15 minutes is all it takes to walk around all the areas I have mentioned today but, whenever I take my camera for a walk, it could take me a couple of hours or more. I have many more photos to share it you're interested in seeing other areas of the smallest capital city in Europe. Just let me know in the comments.

Related posts:
Valletta: Five Quirky Facts
Valletta:  Five More Quirky Facts

9 comments

  1. Hello Loree, I love your tour of this city with history evident everywhere you look. Of course there have to be changes, but they are better fitted into, instead of replacing, the existing landscape.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always Loree when I visit you at Malta am taken in by the history and the ancient times that continue to exist. It is amazing the age and the beauty of the architecture that continues to grace your beautiful Island. I do hope you will share many more pictures. It is always a delight to see your artistry with the camera. Please take care and have a super week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loree, I have never been to Malta and enjoyed your photos, history and tour of the square. It is beautiful. I love seeing the old advertisements on the side of the building! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loree, You live in a magical and beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Central Valletta must be a magnet for photographers and I can understand why you can linger there regulaly taking shots. I particularly love the creaminess of the stone. The arcade of Old Treasury Street is beautiful! Lovely photos, Loree, and do post more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been there for a day when we stopped in Valetta during our Meditarian Cruise, I remember that I thought being in Italy, it looks so very much the same. I think it was in 2004 so long time ago.
    I like your profile picture ! First time I see your face after so many years !

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Parnassus: I agree. It would be a shame if any of these beautiful buidings were destroyed. But Valletta is on the UNESCO World Heritage list so I think it will be taken care of.

    @Debbie: thank you for your kind words. I want to explore more of Valletta and try to capture more of it with my photos. It is really quite special - even if very small.

    @Elizabeth: thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the small tour.

    @Salty Pumpkin Studio: yes, some parts of this island are very magical and special.

    @Pipistrello: yes, I will certainly share more photos of Valletta in the future. The creaminess of the buildings is very typical of limestone buildings.

    @Gattina: I finally decided to share a photo of my face. For some reason, Blogger is 'squashing' it. Yes, I agree that Valletta looks a lot like s ome cities in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely city! We were there in December of 2018. I e-mailed you the dates that we were there, but I guess you never got my e-mail. Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed Malta and was even able to visit Gozo for two days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kayni, I am so sorry but I never got your email. That is such a pity. I am glad you enjoyed Malta. I miss your blog. Hope you start writing again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.