By The Sea In September



Join me as I share some memories of September days by the sea.

Even as a child, I always looked forward to September. It was the beginning of the end of summer when the days were still hot, but the nights were pleasantly cool. School, which started in October, still seemed ages away. I had my little band of friends. Our friendship was enough.

Some days, we played hopscotch or hide and seek. On other days, we would go to the seaside, armed with buckets and spades, flip-flops and straw hats. The beaches were almost deserted after Victory Day (September 08), so we had whole stretches of sand to ourselves. It was a glorious time. The sea was always restless, as errant breezes quietly ruffled its surface. There was a peace and a calmness that was only disturbed by the excited giggles of children drunk on the freedom of the last days of summer. We ate our ftira, filled with tomatoes and tuna, basil and mint, and almost made ourselves sick on bunches of sweet Maltese grapes (truly the best in the world).

By the sea in September_Sincerely Loree

I remember our beach umbrella, an exuberant 70s concoction of orange, red and white flowers on a bright blue background; the exciting combination of salty skin and sandy toes; the sun, huge and as orange as a pumpkin, lingering on the horizon - just seemingly long enough to dip its toes into the cerulean water that marked the boundaries of our existence.

Only the present was real. The future seemed very far away. It was the best of times - an idyll that would soon be shattered by the relentless march of time - a commodity that we had a surplus of back then.

By the sea in September_Sincerely Loree

By the sea in September_Sincerely Loree

Those days are long gone. The children have grown, and only the memories remain, memories of golden September days by the sea.

By the sea in September_Sincerely Loree

Thanks to Jeanne (again) for the inspiration. And thanks to my parents, for those wonderful days by the sea (and so much else).

9 comments

  1. Beautiful words.
    It is as if I can feel sand in my toes reading your post.
    The sandy surf photograph is stunning. It would look great as one of those large photographs on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I never thought of enlarging any of my photos. But I agree that the one if the surf is rather nice.

      Delete
  2. Hello Loree, Thank you for these wonderful memories, beautifully described. My main memories of summers "back then" are the days we spend exploring the woods and parks, and the long days and late sunsets. The latter are still available at more northern latitudes, which is one reason I love visiting Ohio in the summer. Although this year I did not get there, I am already making plans for next summer.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to 'see' you again Jim. Exploring parks and woods sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Your photos are beautiful especially the last one. I don't like autumn, it's the entrance of the winter ! And my mood is down. Now I have so much to do with my move I don't know where me head stands !
    Gattina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of you often as you are the same age as my parents. I hope your move goes smoothly.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and memories. I love Fall and although I enjoyed summer I am looking forward to cooler weather. Have a wonderful Autumn! Elizabeth@pineconesandacorns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're still waiting for autumn around here but the cooler nights almost fool me into believing it's just round the corner.

      Delete
  5. Loree this post is rich with lovely pictures, wonderful words and childhood memories. Adore the title of the post "By the Sea in September". Thank you for sharing. Hugs sweet friend! P.S. Sure have missed your posts. So glad you are back!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.