Hydrangeas, and a tale of a grandfather that I never met

I never met my maternal grandfather. He died before I was born; before my mother, or any of her siblings, was married. All I know is what I've heard about him from snippets of conversations that remain embedded in my memory.

My grandfather was born on the 9th of August 1904. On the 10th of August the Catholic church celebrates the martyrdom of Saint Laurence, he who was roasted on a grate, and, as was the custom in those days, my grandfather was named Lorenzo but was more commonly known by the Maltese version of the name: Wenzu. On February 4th 1940, 4 months before war descended on Malta, he married my Nanna Rose. They would have 6 children together: 4 girls and 2 boys. By trade, he was a builder and there is still a small chapel in St Paul's Bay that he worked on and that has survived unscathed to this day. He died on his birthday in 1965. 
Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

My Nanna often told me how kind he was, what a big heart he had and how much he loved his family. But even after what, to me, felt like many years since his passing, I could see it pained her to talk about him. So I never asked questions and just listened when she talked of how sick and weak he got towards the end of his life; how he had bought a goat after the war broke out to make sure that my aunt and my mother, who were born during the worst of the bombings, would always have milk to drink; and how he absolutely hated the crunching sound that a cockroach would make if somebody needed to step on one to get rid of it. Like most men of his generation, he worked hard all his life but, unlike many, he did not have the time to enjoy retirement or meet any of his grandchildren. That is all that I really know. Except for one thing: he had a way with hydrangeas. He could make them grow and flourish in this harsh Mediterranean climate like few others could. Perhaps it was some special trick he had. Or maybe the plants could sense his gentle nature and thrived on it. I don't know what it was but, after he passed away, his hydrangeas,too, slowly died off, until not a single one was left.
Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

And now, all these many years later, I grow them too, haphazardly, never really sure of what I'm doing but always hoping for the best. I am not sure why I pour so much attention on the two hydrangea plants in my little garden but perhaps it's not difficult to guess that I am somehow seeking to have a tenuous connection to this man, this grandfather, that I never got to meet. 
Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

This little tribute to my grandfather, my Nannu, has been years in coming. Summer, and specifically August, as you all know, is never the best time for me to write something heartfelt. But, this year, I felt it was time to do it, no matter how flighty I was feeling. I wonder, sometimes, whether getting older makes us more nostalgic for people we love, even if we have never met them. I wonder too whether the simple act of growing and touching a flower can somehow help us traverse the gaps of time and place until we feel the shining presence of those that watch over us. It is a mystery and I don't know the answer.
Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree
 
More about my family:

8 comments

  1. What a lovely tribute to your Grandfather, Loree and what a beautiful way to remember him by, with your hydrangeas. I imagine you think of him every time you pass them. I'm a firm believer that we do become more nostalgic as we age, and for which my own blog gets these reminiscences as they settle around me. There must come a time when we get to an age when they become even more frequent and crisper and sharper in detail, which I look forward (so long as it doesn't spill into dreaded dementia!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL............MY best girlfriend has HIS BIRTHDAY TOO!
    YOU made me think about the HYDRANGEA's in ITALY!UP at the LAKES COMO, GARDA etc.........they were ALWAYS PROLIFIC!AND IN The SUN!I remember thinking HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?AS HYDRANGEAS like SHADE!YOU need to search out an ITALIAN GARDENER and ask questions!WHICH means you need to GET YOUR SELF ACROSS THE SEA...............AS SOON AS CAN BE SAFE!OR maybe google ITALIAN HYDRANGEAS see what comes up!
    I FINISHED THE BOOK YOU MENTIONED SIENA SUMMER!!!!
    ENJOYED IT AND COULD VISUALIZE A LOT even the HEAT of the day and the SMOKING!!!
    THERE is something about the ENGLISH PEOPLE in ITALY that is so BEAUTIFUL!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loree by the look of your photos you have inherited your grandfather's touch. Yes I do think as we age we become more mindful of those that we have loved in the past or even long to know those we didn't get to know when they were among us.

    I am very homesick for my dad and grandparents and other relatives that peopled my young life. I know they are waiting for me and in light of how short life is compared to eternity the wait may not be all that far away.

    It is set in our hearts friend and therein lies the desire for something that cannot be purchased here in this world. So I understand your nostalgia.

    Take care dear one and keep tinkering with those hydrangeas. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandfathers sounds like a lovely man. It is no wonder that your heart and his spirit tend to the flowers so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A charming memoir of your grandfather who sounded such a sweet and clever man. I never met my grandfathers either, and only my maternal grandmother whom I spent much time with, and loved dearly, until she passed when I was 11 years old.

    You know how I love growing hydrangeas Loree - sadly most blooms are now brown and crisp as we've had such hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a truly lovely post! I thank you so much for it. You are a lovely person and I really, really enjoy what you post. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorna, this is a beautiful sentiment in honor of your grandfather and a lovely thoughtful post. The love and effort you put into your hydrangeas is heartfelt, I can imagine the joy they must bring you, I am especially impressed as I can imagine the extra care needed in August. I haven’t had as much luck with hydrangeas, our deer tend to get to them before me but I do feel a similar connection to other plants, birds and insects...a connection, spirit and memory to those who have passed. It is a very special memory, and as you feel about your grandfather, a blessing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are very beautiful ! You must have inherited something of your grandpa you neve knew !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.