A Sense Of An Ending

There's a sense of finality to September. A hint, even on this sun-scorched island, that summer is coming to an end.  The swifts are back and we've had our first storm. Clouds sail gracefully across the sky like enormous cotton balls and, although the sun's rays feel as warm as a lover's kiss, its power is waning and, with that, comes a sense of relief. The beaches are mostly deserted, lifeguard stands  are empty now and there is, already, a feeling of neglect as seaweed gathers on the waterline and the beach vendors move to more profitable locales. It is too early to think of woollen hats and cold fingers. But the promise is there.

Sincerely Loree

I have been absent from here for a while, making the most of the lazy, hazy days of August but I know it's time to lift my metaphorical socks up (it's still too warm to wear real ones) and look to the next few months. There is much that I want to share in these gentle autumn months: a few book reviews, a bit more about Malta - the unspoilt pretty Malta that I continue to seek - and the little things that make life special and worthwhile. A trip to  Tuscany might take place. The season for apple and cinnamon-scented candles is on the horizon and the thought of cosy evenings and fluffy fleece blankets makes me almost giddy with pleasure. In autumn there is renewal; a season of misty mornings and crispy evenings  that delights my soul. Because, unlike many, I am a creature of rain and storms and the north-west wind, that tosses the sea into a frenzy and howls and shrieks outside my bedroom window, is my best friend. The golden melancholy of autumn and the wildness of winter delight me in ways that make me want to speak in poetry if I could.  It is hard to find the right words in summer, when the air is heavy with so much more than heat and which has perfectly summed up by my dear friend Heather in her poem As Summer Slipped By

Sincerely Loree

As I write this, the sun is golden outside my window. Occasionally it hides behind a cloud, plunging the room into greyness. I miss my boy, away camping with his Boy Scout troop, knowing, deep down, that this is just a foretaste of things to come. Of when he'll fly away, like the swifts, to make his own life. And what then? 'What then?' indeed. Perhaps it's time to think of  things I would like to do and how I would like to grow. Of new challenges to pursue. Perhaps it's time to think of slightly altering my path. There's a whole world out there and I've only experienced a portion of it. A sliver. But there is so much  more. So much muchness ripe for the picking.

Sometimes I can barely sleep, thinking of ways I can transform myself: from the clothes I wear to the books I read and the words I write. I feel the need to almost turn myself inside out. To reach into that secret place, where no one else is allowed, and think. About summer and that sense of an ending. About autumn and the possibility of new beginnings.

Sincerely Loree


5 comments

  1. Hello Loree, I had thought that Malta was much more tropical, but I just checked and your latitude is a comparatively temperate 36 degrees. I was apparently misled because your photos always look so sun-drenched! In Taipei (latitude 25 degrees) I don't really have a feeling of the seasons changing, and September is usually very hot and summer-like.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inside out is a turn style doorway where we can chase our dreams until the weather leads us indoors or out. Fashion changes means shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just the opposite of me ! I hate autumn and the stripteasing trees and then they look so naked. It becomes cold and the air has a special smell which doesn't lift my mood ! I always fear autumn ! I easily get depressed. I would like to be a bear and stay in my winterquarter until spring ! I am a "sunny" girl. It's funny you live in a country with a lot of sunshine and you love autumn and winter and I live in a cold and rainy country often without summer days and I love spring and sunshine ! When our boy left home, we started to travel the both of us, until 2009 when Mr. G didn't want to travel anymore and his retirement changed him. So I travelled with friends that was nice too, and now he is in a retirement home because of Parkinson. Life is full of surprises !

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO!
    WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST!We are to have THUNDER SHOWERS HERE TODAY!We are in desperate need of RAIN so I HOPE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!THE TREES ARE DYING THEY ARE SO PARCHED! I hope you get to go to TUSCANY!I can LIVE THROUGH YOUR PHOTOS!
    I know I owe you a letter and I will get it done..................just a lot going on with me now!
    FALL IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER...........XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet friend your words resonate with me. As always you are able to convey feelings that lie within and bring us together in spirit. I am a summer gal but autumn has been my favorite season because of the beauty we enjoy in my part of the world. Still am sad to see this carefree time of the year go.

    In retrospect every day that unfolds is a gift - even rainy wet, wintery ones hold a special cozy feeling that is not found in the folds of summer.

    So hats off to autumn and the coming weeks of beauty and for you a break from the heat. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.