Life Lately: Summer Vibes

It's been a while since I last wrote here and that's mainly due to summer lethargy, too much reading and quizzing my son for his annual exams. The latter is thankfully behind us and we have all have heaved a collective sigh of relief. We had been having some rather nice weather up to now but, overnight, the temperature shot up by around 10 degrees (C) and the raging heat of Africa has reached our shores. It is hot, muggy and unpleasant. The sky is laden with desert dust and, although the wind is blowing, it brings no respite because each gust feels like a hot blast from a furnace. But I'll look on the bright side: it's the solstice and, from here on, the days will only get shorter and cooler weather will return.

Wedding Anniversary

Last week my husband and I celebrated our 18th anniversary. We both took the day off and went to Marsaxlokk* for lunch. Marsaxlokk used to be a very picturesque fishing village with golden limestone houses huddled around the village church just metres away from the crystal-clear sea. We hadn't visited for 2 years and I was shocked at the change. But now, the main road that borders the promenade looks like a war zone with all the road works taking place and there are places from where the church is no longer visible due to all the construction that has been going on. You may read more about the ugliness that is engulfing us in my previous post Disappearing Malta.
Sincerely Loree: Marsaxlokk, Malta


Anyhow, we chose Marsaxlokk because my husband felt like eating octopus and it's the best place to get fresh seafood. We decided to go to La Capanna, which used to be one of our favourite restaurants, only to find out that it has been refurbished, was under new management and the  menu had been overhauled. The items on it were also drastically reduced too. But the food was excellent - perhaps even better than it used to be. Or maybe I should say that it went from being family-run to more gourmet. My prawn risotto was delicious and the portion was just enough to fill me up without giving me a carb overload.

*Marsaxlokk is made up of 2 Semitic words: marsa meaning harbour and xlokk which means south. Thus Marsaxlokk means southern harbour and remains dating back to Phoenician times have been found in the vicinity.

Currently reading

I'm currently reading 2 books: The Corfu  Trilogy by Gerald Durrell and The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman. I purposefully left The Corfu  Trilogy for summer. It is over 700 pages long but Durrell's writing is easy-going and often humorous. In this trilogy he writes about the 5 years his family spent on the island of Corfu and he really brings to life the eccentric and lovable characters that he befriends. The books were adapted for television and we have already watched the four series which I highly recommend for some feel-good summer binge-watching.

I am sure you are all familiar with the movie The Pianist directed by Roman Polanski and starring Adrien Brody. I've watched it twice but I wanted to read the book it was based on. As with all Holocaust memoirs it will make for some heart-breaking reading. I make sure to read at least one book about the Holocaust every year.

Plans

Have any of you made any plans for 'later on'? I can't seem to think further than next week. The thought of making plans further than that terrifies me. I was always a procrastinator and have never really been fond of planning far ahead but I had started to get used to it. Covid has set me back. I think it will take me a while to plan for events that are in 3 or 4 months' time. But, to be honest, I would love to go on a trip somewhere. I keep thinking of Tuscany. The thought of those little hill-top villages with their  massive walls and bell towers makes me feel calm, safe and serene. I was wondering whether you'd be interested if I did a virtual tour of Tuscany on the blog. It's been over 10 years since we were last there but I doubt the major attractions have moved anywhere so I think it's easily doable. Let me know and I'll try and come up with something.

Sincerely Loree: Marsaxlokk, Malta

Useful links

So that's it from me for this week. Let's see how often I'm going to be missing my weekly posts in summer. It doesn't look like I've got off to a very good start.

Sincerely Loree: Marsaxlokk, Malta

6 comments

  1. Happiest Anniversary! You are a handsome couple, and so young for married 18 years.

    Lovely post. Noting major attractions haven't gone anywhere made me laugh. Yay for Tuscany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too late to wish you a happy wedding anniversary ! It happened often to me that when I returned to a very beautiful place, that it had changed and has become ugly or just like any other place. I am especially disappointed when I see London today ! Since the Olympic games nothing is like it was before, all the charm is gone it looks like little Dubai !
    That's a nice picture of both of you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw the fishing boats I remembered visiting Marsaxlokk when in Malta in 2017 - where the heck have all those years gone! It was a very quick stop on the way to the airport after leaving the ship and I thought it lovely - here's the link to my post with photos of the harbor etc. at the end.

    https://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2017/07/majestic-malta.html

    Congratulations dear Loree on your anniversary - love the photo of you two. Hoping you get to travel again soon - like you I would love a return trip to Tuscany, it was one of my all time favorites so long ago with great memories. Thankfully the countryside of Italy, like France, rarely changes. Meanwhile we are preparing for our very first trip away from home since COVID hit - off to New England (NH,MA and Maine) next month - have to say I'm a bit nervous but hoping all goes well. We have bookings for Sept/Oct for the UK - after several cancellations have had to be made and it's now 2 yrs. since I was there! I MUST get home as we, and all my family there, are aging and several have major health issues, and I'm so homesick right now.

    We absolutely loved the TV version of the Durrells in Corfu - didn't want it to end!

    I do like your new blog format - I probably should get with it and update mine but have a feeling that 'safe rather than sorry' may be best. We oldies are not that great when it comes to technology, and I'm scared I'd lose everything!

    Stay cool if you can - hope your son did well in his exams and has a great summer vacation.
    Sending hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES YES go to Tuscany and do a tour for me!!!
    Happy Anniversary!
    WE are celebrating 35 this month!!!!!!!!!!
    BEAUTIFUL MALTA THEY MUST PRESERVE IT!!

    LOVE THE PHOTO OF YOU TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MORE OF THAT!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Loree! 18 years is very respectable and it sounds like you had a lovely celebration together. It was very good of your husband to colour-coordinate so well with your restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loree first and foremost - Happy Anniversary late - You two make a handsome couple. Sounds like you are very warm there. Good time to read and relax somewhere cool. It actually has been quite hot and dry here too but now a cool front has found us. Hope it stays awhile. Well take care friend and thanks for sharing your lovely photos. Would love to see Tuscany. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.