Lingering

Lingering. It's a word that has such a sweet ring to it, don't you think? It is derived from lenger which means to reside or dwell. It's a word that really  resonated with me one day last week. I had the afternoon off, I didn't need to cook for several hours and I had some 'me' time. Which meant that I could take my time not just enjoying the photos on Instagram but actually reading all the captions. Even the long ones. Yes, I was lingering and it felt good.

You see, my character is very much a mixture of the polar opposites that are my mum and dad in this regard. HE takes things easy, does everything at this own pace and won't be hurried to save his life. SHE will finish a task as soon as she is aware of it, even if she has another 10 to do, as  long as it's done and out of the way. And I am a curious mixture of procrastination and hyperactivity that drives me partially insane because it's so difficult for these two extremes to live in one body. During weekdays I take the hyperactive approach and, by Friday evening, I'm ready to pass out from exhaustion - some of which is brought on by this constant battling for precedence between my yin and yang. So it felt very good to linger unexpectedly, on a Thursday afternoon, and not think about anything. I felt quite like some society lady from ages past, not only sitting and doing nothing but actually not thinking about what I needed to do. And what a lovely feeling it was.


Sincerely Loree: Crown daisies

Which is why I sometimes I get these strange yearnings for things to be the way they used to be. When I was a child I spent many summer days with my Nanna Rose or by great aunt Winnie (or Rosina and Wistina, in Maltese). One-stop shops didn't exist in those days, at least not in our town, so we would make the daily rounds: the grocery store, the vegetable seller, the bakery and, if something needed fixing or an new outfit was being made, a stop at the haberdashery for a spool of thread or maybe a zipper and buttons. And at each stop, we would stop to say a few words to the other women from the neighbourhood doings their own rounds. It was an unhurried process, the latest family news would be exchanged, maybe a little bit of gossip too. They lingered, these ladies of my childhood. There was no rush. I hadn't realized just how much things have changed. Now trips to the grocery store are a mad rush to get in and out as fast as possible; and I never meet anyone who I can linger with. Even if I did, we probably wouldn't have the time for more than a 'hello', 'how are you?' and 'goodbye'. How sad it has all become. I vote we all do our bit to bring lingering back in style.


Sincerely Loree: Crown daisies

In the spirit of taking some time for ourselves and actually enjoy doing it without thinking of the one hundred other things that still need to be done, today I am sharing a few links that I hope you will have time to linger over.

  • Do read Kim Wheelers interview with our favourite Contessa: Style Maven Elizabeth Kirkpatrick  for her Californians At Home Series. Elizabeth's home and her beautiful garden feel like a throwback to another era. It's definitely a home where one can easily linger and relax.
  • Another beautiful abode is Prince Charles's sixteenth century house in Cornwall. It is the epitome of British country living and I absolutely loved it. Designer Annabel Elliott managed to create an eclectic mix of British brands, market finds, country antiques and the odd armchair upholstered in vintage Moroccan fabric. Next time we visit Cornwall I hope I'll be invited to tea.
  • I really enjoyed reading Vicki Archer's tips for sleeping well in her article Sleeping Beauty: The Best Night's Sleep. We can all do with a better night of sleep.
  • I've already reviewed The Enchanted April but I have to mention it again because it's perfect for doing a spot of lingering (indeed, it's all the four protagonists of this book seem to do).
  • I am truly entranced by the series The Time in Between. It is in Spanish with English subtitles. The story takes place in the years before WW2 and starts in Spain but moves to Morocco at a time when it was a melting pot of cultures. For some reason, I've always thought of Morocco during that era as an exotic and fascinating place and this series is just further enhancing this image. To be honest, Morocco is still a place whose charms I wish to experience one day. In the meantime, another way I get my Moroccan fix is by lingering over Maryam Montague's beautiful book Marrakesh By Design. The book was first published in 2012 and I am sure that most of you have seen it but I love to look at the vibrant colours of Moroccan houses and gardens. There is something about the combination of colours used in Moroccan textiles and design that makes my heart beat ever so slightly faster because I'm definitely not someone who can live with neutrals only.
  • Image via Amazon
Now that summer is at our door here in the northern hemisphere I hope that we all get the time we need to linger and to just take the time to simply BE. I hope you're all having a wonderful week.

6 comments

  1. OH what a surprise to find KIM's article here!YOU ARE THE BEST about SHARING!
    I cant wait to go click on Prince Charles HOME!DO you recall I snatched a piece of his wall in the garden of THAT HOME!It is now under a glass dome in my living room with a NOTE telling my SONS what it is!!!!!
    HE WILL BE KING one day and I have a PIECE of HIM!
    I loved the movie ENCHANTED APRIL.......did you see that I cant recall if you mentioned it or not!
    LINGERING I have been doing that for the PAST YEAR and even MORE now with a puppy in the HOUSE.
    A lot of attention and just holding her with dishes left in the sink!
    As you described the shopping way back when it so reminded me of ITALY!
    You description of shopping NOW is SPOT ON!ALthough I do try and connect with the clerk on check out!
    They all know me with my BASKETS for BAGS!
    FANTASTIC POST TODAY!
    LINGERING is good for THE BLOOD PRESURE !!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorna, Thank you so much for kindly sharing the post on Elizabeth! It was a lot of fun and my most popular post ever! She and her house are just so photogenic and of course, lovely..

    I just have to say your post was just what we all need to read. It reminded me of being small and another time.. I used to go do errands with my grandma and we would do the same, take our time and chat with people. It was all about enjoying and being in the moment. We don't have enough of that. You and I sound similar.. My mom was like yours, and my dad a enjoyer and dawdler..I am both also! I guess I didn't think about it much until I read this. Next time I am out I am going to take more time to enjoy what I do, instead of rushing through. Too much of that in life already.

    This made my day.. Love your writings.. Now off to check out Charles' Cornwall place. That whole area is on my bucket list!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth: you are full of mischief. I'm sure Prince Charles must have touched that piece of wall hundreds of times. Your new puppy is so sweet. I like the name Betty. I think it suits her perfectly. I hope Theodore has made friends. Cats can be so snobbish sometimes.

    Kim: thank you so much for your support. I am so happy you like my writing. I miss the old days. Life was so different. Maybe we didn't have as much as we do today but I think we were all a lot happier.

    Cornwall is beautiful. We visited in 2014 and loved it. Hope to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was HIGHGROVE!
    THATS where I got the piece OF WALL!
    I knew nothing of this fabulous Home although I thought the decorating a little DULL!
    SUPPOSE thats what THEY NEED!
    THANKS FOR SHARING!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casting my vote for yes to lingering!
    Lovely post. I remember the days of different shops instead of a one stop grocery store like today. Thank you for the great links

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loree I am going to take some time and linger over your posts. I identify with the hustle and the part that wants to procrastinate. Here in the spring there is much needing to be done that it is difficult to linger like I want to do. Thanks for sharing that longing. Hope we both can linger a bit more often. Have a blessed weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.