A perfect day

Today was one of those perfect summer days. Yesterday was a public holiday and I took the day off today so I had a super-long weekend. My son has also finished school so we decided to make the most of it and headed to the beach early in the morning. 

We were there by 9.30 am and parking was easy since the airport won't be opening up until tomorrow. We were able to spread our towels without encroaching on anybody else]s space. It was a hot one today but there was a nice breeze at the beach which kept things very pleasant. I spent the first half hour just listening to the waves die gently on the sand and staring at the water. Ir was so soothing that I quickly felt the tight knot in my stomach that I walk around with so often, dissipating. We swam for an hour, dried off and left just before the heat reached it zenith. 

I then spent most of the afternoon lounging on the couch, reading, checking Instagram and enjoying the cool breeze from our ceiling fan. It was one of our best investments: a sleek, modern contraption of stainless steel with wooden blades. Even on a low setting it cools down the room enormously. I've also learnt to close all doors and windows, except for the smallest of cracks, to keep the heat out. Most of the time, it seems to work.
 
Gnejna Bay, Malta - Sincerely Loree

Those of you that have been reading my blog long enough will know that I don't like summer. But I've realised what I really hate is having to work in summer. I didn't hate my day today because I got to swim, which is one of the things I enjoy most in the world, relax and read. I was also able to plan a nice supper without having to rush like a maniac and now I have enough energy to blog - when most days I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm starting to get the distinct impression that work is bad for me :)
Gnejna Bay, Malta - Sincerely Loree

Garden

On the garden front, I have started to follow #mediterraneangardens on Instagram as I would like to introduce plants that easily withstand our long, hot summers but that will also provide some greenery. I am going to try growing oleander by cutting off some shoots and potting them. My dad has had some success doing it this way and I want to try doing it myself. Oleander is a desert plant and is highly adapted to conditions of drought. An added bonus is that they flower nearly all summer long. I still love my roses and hydrangeas but both these species need to be watered regularly. The hydrangeas wilt after a day in the heat and the roses look straggly all summer. So I am planning on mixing hardier plants with a few more delicate varieties.
Hydrangeas - Sincerely Loree

Summer plans

We don't really have any plans this summer. Our trip to Ireland never materialised and my husband had to use up nearly all his vacation leave during the COVID-19 crisis. It certainly looks like we will be staying here and, whereas in big countries it's easy get in the car and get away, here there is nowhere to go - except maybe to Gozo (which is Malta's sister island), but it's really small and gets crowded very easily. Sometimes I toy with the idea of staying in a boutique hotel in Valletta to experience what it's like to wake up in our capital city. We'll see. As I've said, we have no plan, so we'll probably act on the spur of the moment.
Gnejna Bay, Malta - Sincerely Loree

Keeping in touch

Blogging is always harder during the summer months as it takes quite a bit of will-power to sit down for any length of time but I will try to keep at it, even if my posts will get shorter. I am active almost daily on Instagram and you can find me here. I've shunned nearly all other social media platforms but do enjoy puttering around on Goodreads because it's the perfect place to look for new books to read and I now have around 86 books on my 'want to read' list. Oh dear. 

Another great place to look for book recommendations is Jeanne's Brown Paper  Book Club which you can find on Goodreads here, on Pinterest here or on her new website here.

As always, my offer to send anyone that's interested a postcard from Malta is always open. Please drop me a note in the Comments section and I will get in touch with you for your address. Hopefully, it will reach you before the end of summer because snail mail is still slow and the service has been heavily disrupted by COVID-19 restrictions.

That is all for today. I hope you're all enjoying summer by doing the things you love most.

Gnejna Bay, Malta - Sincerely Loree

Leaving you with some classic Lou Reed and his idea of a perfect day.



7 comments

  1. The water looks wonderful. Love the umbrella.
    I was told ceiling fans go counter clockwise for cooling, clockwise to help spread heat. I had no idea what the little switch is on the side of the housing.
    Work being bad for you made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Loree - it's certainly brightened up my early morning which is cloudy with rain coming for the afternoon! I like your choice of music - such a relaxing song.

    So my dear, your morning at the beach sounded awesome - oh to get down to the seashore - but just not possible here right now - 2.5 hours drive and no hotels open so too far for a day trip!

    An afternoon of lounging with one of your good books must have been relaxing - which I'm sure you've earned. Do you not have air conditioning? Ceiling fans are great - we use ours quite often, however we have to have the a/c on during summer as the heat and humidity is bad here. Shame we can't all pop over to Ireland where it remains cool and comfy! We should be in the UK right now visiting my family but of course can't do that either. Our summer plans are, like yours, mainly staying at home and in the garden, we won't be going far by looks of it.

    Hang in there - and be sure to keep blogging - and let us know if you can grow oleander - it's so lovely even though extremely toxic - so take care!!!!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO MORE KNOTS IN THE TUMMY AREA!!!
    HOW BEAUTIFUL YOU AND YOUR SON HEADED TO THE SEASHORE!
    JUST TO LET YOU KNOW OUR WATER THE Pacific Ocean IS NOTHING LIKE YOUR SEA!ONE WOULD FREEZE OR BE KILLED BY THE UNDERTOW HERE!
    I HOPE I GET TO EXPERIENCE THAT SEA WATER ONCE AGAIN...................
    YES!A POSTCARD FROM MALTA ALWAYS WELCOME!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loree what a delightful way to spend a summer day. How beautiful a place to swim. I know what you mean about that feeling of anxiety...perhaps most of us are experiencing it during these times. So happy you had a wonderful day off. Take care friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Loree, yes, I agree that does sound like a perfect day! Although these days I really can't put the ol' body in the sunshine like I once did - I've used up all my non-Mediterranean-skin credits already, haha - but bobbing around in the said Med. for an hour would be very welcome. I do love its superior buoyancy, so you can just stretch out and recline in it without effort.

    It's nice to know that your aversion to summer really does only extend to working in it! At least you get longer days as compensation and the rather Zen-like experience of lolling beneath a turning ceiling fan. And good idea to shake up your garden planting a bit. Water must be rather precious on your island home. Oleander is very hardy and will reward you well, and have you thought about bougainvillea? I'm thinking about those spectacular displays on the bone-dry Greek isles I enjoyed recently, growing out of the smallest of holes in paved streets.

    I've only been on Instagram for a relatively short while and had a lovely explore about its wild shores for a bit but have now decided my time there needed some serious rationing if I want to get More Things Done. I do suspect, though, the siren call of Pinterest might sneak back onto the radar if I'm not vigilant!

    Oh, and do stay somewhere fancy in Valletta and have a Holiday at Home. That's a terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing beats being near the water. We just came back from a short trip to Virginia and spent most of our time relaxing by the river. It's a good feeling.

    I feel you about "work not being good" to us. I'm starting to feel the burnt out feeling and the anxiety that never goes away. I've been telling my husband I feel like quitting my current job. I may just need to make time and do more of the stuff I like to do.

    Hang in there. We'll try to enjoy the best of what summer has to give. I still have 9 days of vacation to use, so I'm taking another week off this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, yes, I think work can be bad for us! It can get in the way of the things we really want to be doing. Hey, I wonder if you could send me a postcard? I can give you my granddaughters name. It would be a real thrill for her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Due to the new setting I had to make to allow Comments from people who do not have a Blogger account, it is not possible for me to reply to each comment individually but I will try to do so in some other way.
If you're still having problems leaving a comment you can email me at: stories.scribbles@gmail.com
Spam and offensive comments will be deleted.

Instagram

Sincerely, Loree. Theme by STS.